I am a lover of inspirational books. These are a few of my current faves:
- “one thousand gifts: a dare to live fully right where you are” by Ann Voskamp: Ann perfectly describes the negative attitude I tend towards. Then she eloquently motivated me to create my own list of one thousand gifts of God’s daily grace to develop an attitude of gratitude. If you struggle with self-centeredness and pride, you may also suffer from a critical spirit that exhibits itself in grumbling. This book will help you see the mundane as majestic and be thankful. Check out Ann’s fabulous blog: www.aholyexperience.com
- “Good and Angry: Exchanging Frustration for Character in you and your Kids” by Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller: Again if you struggle with pride, you probably have control issues and anger issues. This book helped me realize that anger is a valid emotion as long as I use it to recognize the problem, not to solve it. Several “hot button” issues are addressed. For each issue the core character flaw is described and tips to build character are given. Check out their website: http://www.effectiveparenting.org/
- “Mission of Motherhood” by Sally Clarkson If you get any book, buy this one. It will inspire you to be a wholehearted mother. One who sees mothering as her ministry instead of a duty. I can’t say enough wonderful things about Sally and all that she has done and written. She writes a wonderful blog: http://www.itakejoy.com
- “Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy’s Astounding Story of his Trip to Heaven and Back” by Todd Burpo: This recollection of a toddler’s journey to heaven and back helped me focus more on “why” we are on this planet and God’s ultimate goal for those who believe in Him (in desiring to stay God-centered). Also, as moms who have experienced the pain of miscarriage there is a hopeful message that we will see these precious little ones as children up in heaven. You may be a skeptic but you can’t help but love to see the book of Revelation come alive through the eyes of a three-year old.
- “How We Love: Discover your Love Style, Enhance your Marriage” by Milan and Kay Yerkovich : This book looks at how you were loved as a child and how you developed your love style. It then has chapters focused on what happens when opposing unhealthy love styles join in marriage. The best section of the book is the tips it gives to rehabilitate those unhealthy love styles and create a marriage that expresses the love God intended for our marriages to reflect.